General DentistryDental Hygiene
Dental Hygiene from your Shaughnessy General Dentist
Dental hygiene is of the utmost importance in our daily lives. We all know that flossing, brushing, and rinsing should all be a part of our daily routines, and we should be working hard to incorporate them every day. Regular dental check-ups are also beneficial because they allow your dentist to verify that you’ve been maintaining your health properly.
At our South Vancouver dental office, you can expect dental exams and professional dental cleanings as part of your hygiene visits. Here’s some info on each!
At your first dental visit, a complete dental exam will be done by your dentist. At that time, and at following regular check-up exams, your dentist and hygienist will preform:
- Diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): to find decay, tumours, cysts, bone loss, and tooth positions.
- Oral cancer screenings: to check your face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluations: to check your gums and bone around your teeth for any signs of periodontal (gum) disease.
- Examination of tooth surfaces: to check for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: to check your fillings, crowns, veneers, etc.
Professional Dental Cleanings
Professional dental cleanings (scaling, root planing, and polishing) are done by Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam by the dentist and:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has formed on the tooth and is firmly attached. Calculus forms above and below the gum line, and can be removed with appropriate dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produces toxins that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease and can affect your general health!
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
You can expect only the best hygiene procedures at our Oakridge dental office, Smile A Lot Dental Centre. Contact us today!