General DentistryTMJ / TMD
TMJ / TMD Treatment from your South Vancouver Dentist
Temporomandibular disorders (TMD/TMJ) are a group of issues that trigger discomfort in the jaw and surrounding muscles. It can either be a slight annoyance or an extreme issue.
Common signs consist of:
- Pain in the jaw joint or chewing muscles
- Pain in the jaw, neck, or face
- Stiff jaw muscles
- A jaw that locks or has restricted activity
- Painful clicking, popping, or grating in the jaw joint
If you suffer from serious TMJ, a surgical diagnosis might be your finest option. A dental specialist will need to evaluate your symptoms as well as your dental history, and offer you a comprehensive investigation to see exactly what options would be best for you.
Some nonsurgical options include:
- A Stabilization or splint — This is a bite splint that involves fitting a plastic guard over the upper or lower teeth. It aids in preventing clenching and grinding of the teeth and typically just needs to be used during the night, unless directed differently by your dental professional.
- Physical Therapy — These are alternatives that consist of stretching workouts, acupuncture, or ultrasound treatments, to name a few, to help relax your jaw muscles.
- Drug Therapy — Anti-inflammatory medications might be prescribed to alleviate pain and relax your jaw muscles.
If surgical treatment is the path you have to take, our Shaughnessy dental practitioner will set out all your options and help you choose the best ways to continue.
Together, you and your dentist will certainly develop the proper plan that is perfect fit for you. Please consult your Smile A Lot Dental Centre dental professional to receive the proper TMJ diagnosis.