Dentures & Partial Dentures from your Shaughnessy Dentist
Dentures are removable dental appliances that replace missing teeth and tissue. When a patient loses many or all of their teeth, dentures allow the patient to chew properly and speak normally. Dentures also support a natural-looking smile and facial structure, preventing the sunken lower facial features that can result from loss of teeth and gum tissue.
Complete dentures replace all of the teeth in an arch – the upper (maxillary) arch and/or the lower (mandibular) arch. Partial dentures from our Oakridge dental practice replace some of the teeth, when some natural teeth remain.
A complete denture is used when all of the teeth are missing.
- A conventional complete denture is made after the teeth have been removed and the gum tissue has healed, usually taking 4 to 6 weeks. During this time you will go without teeth.
- An immediate complete denture is made in advance and immediately placed after the teeth are removed, thus preventing the patient from having to be without teeth during the healing process. Once the tissues shrink and heal, adjustments will have to be made.
A partial denture is used when some natural teeth remain. It not only fills in the spaces created by missing teeth, it prevents other teeth from shifting. We always attempt to save your natural teeth.
Dentures are very durable appliances and will last many years, but may have to be remade, repaired, or readjusted due to normal wear.
Reasons for dentures:
- Complete denture – Loss of all teeth in an arch
- Partial denture – Loss of several teeth in an arch
- Enhancing smile and facial tissues
- Improving chewing, speech, and digestion
Contact Smile A Lot Dental Centre, your Shaughnessy dental office, if you are in need of dentures.